After 7 years of drought, the winter is finally returned to Israel. In winter , Mount Hermon is covered with snow
During the winter, the lower slopes of the Hermon are used for skiing and snowboarding. Many visitors come to see the amazing view, to play in the snow, to go up in the cable cars and to enjoy the various sports and activities that can be found at the site.
You can also visit the Hermon during the summer. Although there is no snow, you can enjoy a view of the mountains of: Galilee, the Golan, and southern Lebanon, take the cable car to visit the HaMa’apil summit and join guided summer tours.
Here are a few facts you might want to know about the Hermon:
1. Mount Hermon is located in the highest point in Israel. It covers an area of 5,000 acres and arises to 2814 meters above sea level. It is believed that in the past the mountain aries to 4000 meters above sea levels!
2. The name Hermon is derived from the Hebrew word pronounced ker-mone, meaning abrupt.
3. Mount Hermon is mentioned a few times in the Hebrew Bible. One example can be found in Deuteronomy 3:8-
” וַנִּקַּח בָּעֵת הַהִוא, אֶת-הָאָרֶץ, מִיַּד שְׁנֵי מַלְכֵי הָאֱמֹרִי, אֲשֶׁר בְּעֵבֶר הַיַּרְדֵּן–מִנַּחַל אַרְנֹן, עַד-הַר חֶרְמוֹן.”
” And we took the land at that time out of the hand of the two kings of the Amorites that were beyond the Jordan, from the valley of Arnon unto mount Hermon”.
The Bible also refers to Mount Hermon as Mount Senir or Mount Sirion.
4. Mount Hermon is called ” the eyes of the state” to mark the Third Battle of Mount Hermon during Yom Kippur war, between the Israeli Army and the Syrian Army.
5. Mount Hermon is also mentioned in the New Testament. The Book of Matthew tells of Jesus and his disciples journeying north from Bethsaida on the Sea of Galilee to the city of Caesarea Philippi at the southern base of Mount Hermon. Many people believe that The Transfiguration occurred somewhere on Mount Hermon.
6. Since 1981, the Israeli-occupied portion of the Golan Heights has been governed under Golan Heights Law. Only in Mount Hermon you can find a ski resort in a territory held by Israel.
7. Geographically , Mount Hermon is a separate part of the Golan Heights.
This week’s Hebrew tip: Buy a quality translation dictionary which translates from your native language to Hebrew. You can find one in eTeacher store: http://store.eteachergroup.com/store-catalog/dictionaries?cid=3679
Main phrases of the Post, Transcription & Translation:
Mount Hermon – Har Hermon – הר חרמון
Winter – Horef – חֹרֶף
Snow – Shelleg – שֶׁלֶג
Skiing – Ski – סְקִי